I used this process with a savvy Chief Investment Officer and he was able to get up and running on an intra-company weekly audio market commentary in no time at all. He spent a couple hours testing and performing some dry runs. We also discussed factors such as background noise (kids, ringers, etc), location (to avoid unexpected interruptions) and preparing a simple script to stay on point.
It is still being post-processed by an experienced audio engineer (me – as I have a studio for just that purpose) though not much needs done as it is a straightforward spoken word recording.
A recommendation for the microphone was for the Blue Microphones Snowball USB Microphone.
The process is as follows:
How to Record Your Audio Commentary
This document assumes you have purchased your USB microphone and can plug it into your desktop or laptop computer in an available USB port.
Getting Audacity (free software)
Go to http://audacity.sourceforge.net (see below)
Click on the link to download Audacity 1.2.6. Once this download completes – double-click to install Audacity on your computer.
Click on the START menu – go to All Programs and look for the Audacity icon (it may be at the very end of the menu as it is newly installed). See below.
Getting Started Recording in Audacity
Once Audacity is open you have three short steps to record a commentary.
- Go to Edit | Preferences once Audacity is open.
- On the subsequent screen – choose the USB Microphone name out of the list shown in the image below.
- Now you are ready to record.
- You can click on the record button once you are ready to do a test run – or record your actual commentary. (See below).
- A note – take care to evaluate noise in your environment prior to recording as these microphones can pick up very slight noises.
- You can press pause and/or stop once you in a position to complete your recording.
- You can now review the recording. If you are ready to save it – see screen below. Go to File | Export as MP3 and save to a safe place.
- This MP3 or the original Audacity project file can be sent for post processing.